Re: Testing Recovery on NT

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: 2000/06/22

"Van Messner" <vmessner_at_bestweb.net> wrote in message news:56T15.294$Qb1.26362_at_monger.newsread.com...
> If they are data files why not just rename them?
>
> Greg Akins <gakinsNOgaSPAM_at_gatewayhealthplan.com.invalid> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm getting started on a Backup & Recover plan for an Oracle8
> > instance on WinNT.
> >
> > It seems to me that I'll need to be able to drop some files,
> > while Oracle is started, to test failure scenarios.
> >
> > Is it possible to intentionally corrupt datafiles (from NT)
> > while Oracle is started? Or is it unnecessary?
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated?
> >
> > -greg
> >
> > Got questions? Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
> > Up to 100 minutes free!
> > http://www.keen.com

Didn't see the original message, but opening them in a text editor and adding a choice sentence or two, and then saving them, usually does the trick for me. Every time! And How!!

The only problem you may have is finding a text editor that can open large files. I've certainly employed this technique for Redo Logs up to 5 Mb in size, but if you are practising with tens of megabytes, I think you'll be hard pressed to find an editor that can cope.

Regards
HJR