Re: Oracle 8.1.6 start-up problem

From: fro_doe <fro_doeNOfrSPAM_at_hotmail.com.invalid>
Date: 2000/06/21

The database likely crashed and the shared memory segment is probably still there. Run $OH/bin/sysresv to determine if there is still a shm segment or semaphores allocated for this instance.  If so, either manually remove them with ipcrm or do a shutdown abort.

Doug.

Gunjeet Singh <gunjeet.singh_at_eng.sun.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>We are using Oracle v8.1.6 in MTS mode.
>We install and start Oracle as part of the product
>installation. At times, our db-start script (which first starts
>the listener and then starts the Oracle instance), comes out
 with
>the following error message :
>
>Connected.
>ORA-01081: cannot start already-running ORACLE - shut it down
 first

>When we do ps -ef | grep ora, we see only the listener
>process running.
>
>The log file for our custom db-start script shows that it first
 checks
>to see if the listener is already running. Since it is not
 running,
>first the listener process is started. Then it checks to see if
 the
>instance is running (the check is based on a ps check) :
>

> proccnt=$(ps -ef | grep -i ora_.*$1 | grep -v "grep" | wc -l)
>
>If [ $proccnt -gt 0 ] it concludes that the instance is already
 running,
>otherwise it concludes (as in this particular case) that the
 instance is
>not
>running.
>
>It then tries to start the instance and immediately gives :
>
>Connected.
>ORA-01081: cannot start already-running ORACLE - shut it down
 first

>Any ideas on what is going on ? If Oracle is already running why
 don't
>we
>see the processes in a ps command ?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Gunjeet

Got questions? Get answers over the phone at Keen.com. Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com Received on Wed Jun 21 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT