Re: Database sizeing question - so how big is a number anyway?

From: oralap <nospam_at_nospam.com>
Date: 2000/06/21

For a NUMBER(5), the vsize can be up to 4.
For a NUMBER(10), the vsize can be up to 6.
For a NUMBER(20), vsize can be up to 11.

Try creating columns with your datatypes, put the maximum numeric value in them, and use VSIZE to see the stored byte length.

See http://www.lonyx.com for links to additional tips and answers.