Re: Bug? 8i on W2000

From: Frank Hubeny <fhubeny_at_ntsource.com>
Date: 2000/06/21

One can get the same suspicious results with a simpler query:

SQL> select * from sys.order_object_by_dependency; select * from sys.order_object_by_dependency

                  *

ERROR at line 1:
ORA-01436: CONNECT BY loop in user data

using Oracle 8.1.6 on NT.

Looking at dba_views one sees that sys.order_object_by_dependency is defined using the sys.public_depencency view which one can select from because it does not use a connect by.

Since the error manual claims that the problem is due to a circular query, I tried the following query on sys.public_dependency to see if there were any circular references and found at least 7404 of them:

select a.object_id, a.referenced_object_id,

       b.object_id, b.referenced_object_id   from sys.public_dependency a,

       sys.public_dependency b
 where a.referenced_object_id = b.object_id    and b.referenced_object_id = a.object_id;

Just glancing at a fiew of the object_types in dba_objects showed that some of these are java classes.

Frank Hubeny