Re: How can i convert from USASCII7 to WE8ISO8859P1 ?

From: Jim Gregory <JG200024_at_NCR.com>
Date: 2000/06/21

Ulrich,
We are going through the same agony attempting to convert a US7ASCII database to an 8 bit W.... We have some Korean and Taiwan databases that, while they are in US7ASCII, have extended 8 bit characters. We really don't know how they got there.

Like you, I have tried every combination of conversion, export/import, and NLS settings that I could identify and nothing worked. The only thing that seemed to work was a very involved process of

1) create a WE8ISO8859P1 database
2) set up a DB link to the US7ASCII DB
3) Then in PL/SQL or C or some other language
4) grab the row and field with the 8 bit data
5) parse each character out with something like the dump() sql function
6) concatenate the field back together using the chr() sql function for each
of
     the characters parsed out in step 5
7) store the row in the WE8ISO8859P1 database

I too would like to see someone come up with a better solution than this as it's going to be a real pain in the a__ to get these databases converted to an 8 bit language. Luckily for us not all character fields have 8 bit data in them and we'll only have to use the above for those that do.

--
Jim Gregory
Principal Consultant for Keane, Inc.
Ulrich Knecht <knecht_at_thales.de> wrote in message
Hello,
  I have a question concerning character set conversion: Our customer
uses an oracle 8.0.5 Database (on Linux) using USASCII7 character set.
He wants to migrate to oracle 8i (also on Linux) using iso character set
(WE8ISO8859P1). The original data contains german umlauts (ä, ö, ü, ß)
which are being displayed correctly although they are not contained in 7
bit ASCII (Don't ask me why, but it works).
  How can I migrate the data in a way that what is, e.g. an "ä"
(a-umlaut) in the old data base still appears as an "ä" in the new one?
  I made the following attempts, all of which didn't have the required
result:

- export without NLS_LANG set (which should default to US ASCII 7
bit), import with NLS_LANG=GERMAN_GERMANY.WE8ISO8859P1
- export / import without NLS_LANG set

- export / import with NLS_LANG=NLS_LANG=GERMAN_GERMANY.WE8ISO8859P1
I'd be very thankfull if anyone could help me solve this problem. Ulrich