Re: shmmax setting in system file to be set for all memory

From: fro_doe <fro_doeNOfrSPAM_at_hotmail.com.invalid>
Date: 2000/06/20

shmmax is only an upper bound for the size of a single shared memory segment. It does not depend on the amount of memory installed on the system. System resources are not used just because this is set to a large value, it is only used to limit the size of a singel segment. On a 32bit Solaris OS, I set it to 4Gb (0xffffffff) so I don't have to remember to change it later for some reason.

Regards, Doug.

EnderW <ender29_at_my-deja.com> wrote:
>Hi,
> I have been looking at shmmax settings in /etc/system. General
>recomm. I get around is set it half the size of system mem. My
 question
>is what happens when I set it to the all mem. system got. If
 system had
>4GB of mem. if I set it to 4GB. Will the system be able to boot
 up ?
>Thnx in adv.
>
>Ps. system in that context is an Solaris 2.6 or higher with Exxx
 hw
>from Sun
>
>--
>Ender Wiggin
>

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

Got questions? Get answers over the phone at Keen.com. Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com Received on Tue Jun 20 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT