Re: How to grant truncate privilege

From: Eugenio <eugenio.spadafora_nospam_at_compaq.com>
Date: 2000/06/20

The DELETE privilege can't help you in that.

FROM Oracle 8 SQL manual:

TRUNCATE
Purpose
To remove all rows from a table or cluster and reset the STORAGE parameters to the values when the table or cluster was created. See also "Truncating Tables and Clusters". For illustrations, see "Examples".

Prerequisites
The table or cluster must be in your schema or you must have DROP ANY TABLE system privilege. See also "Restrictions".

Restrictions
When you truncate a table, NEXT is automatically reset to the last extent deleted.

You cannot individually truncate a table that is part of a cluster. You must either truncate the cluster, delete all rows from the table, or drop and re-create the table.

You cannot truncate the parent table of an enabled referential integrity constraint.
You must disable the constraint before truncating the table. (An exception is that you may truncate the table if the integrity constraint is self-referential.)

You cannot roll back a TRUNCATE statement.

--
be happy

Eugenio
remove _nospam from reply address

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of my company