polling, triggers, java, Oracle, C++

From: <argosy22_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/06/19

HI all,

This is a good interdisciplined question involving Oracle 734, C++, and Java on Unix.

Our developers are creating a new process for the web. They are using polling methods on the datbase.

There are java processes that poll the database. Sometimes, they use the API of another product, which also polls the database. There are also c++ processes running on NT clients, which poll the database.

The idea is that customers will use the web interface, and insert a record into the database. The polling then checks for new records.

The problem is that we are running the database in archive mode. So every select is not only logged, the logs are later archived when they fill up. On our dev server last week, we got 240 megs of archive files in less than 2 hours! I killed the processes.

What I'm wondering is:
- how can we use an interrupt method instead of a polling method?

My initial thoughts (coming from an Oracle background) is to use an Oracle trigger. On INSERT ....

One question was, how to call an executable java file (or even a ProC program) on the Unix side from the PLSQL in the trigger? Is it possible in 734? I don't think that it is. How about with 8?

The developer's initial reaction was that the triggers lock the table, and other processes then have to wait for the first process to finish, and it didn't work well enough. Does this make sense?

Another idea was to use the UTL_FILE package to output something to file. If we have to use polling, the java process could then poll for the file, and then engage.

What about other tools from Oracle?

Just some initial thoughts. Does anyone have any experience, or better ideas that they could share?

Thanks a lot.

Argosy

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Jun 19 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT