Re: Age old question.. count(*), count(id) or count(1) faster ?

From: Jef Jakobs <jjakobs_at_agm.net>
Date: 2000/06/19

Hi,

select count(1) is faster. But because the Oracle optimizer knows this, it rewrites the query for you... So you won't see any difference when you look at the plan.

In older versions this rewrite would not take place.

I don't like to rely on the optimizer (since it can change it's mind), so I tend to use count(1).

Just my 2 cents,

Jef