Re: Start Oracle 8.1 on sparc Solaris 8 boot

From: <querix_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/06/19

Maybe this is a clue to the error in your dbstart. We have Linux and Oracle 8.1.6 and we had to change the script dbstart, because dbstart is looking for the string PL/SQL in the banner of svrmgrl to determine the version number. But as you start svrmgrl of this release, the startup-banner doesn't contain the words PL/SQL any more (as in older versions); it shows (again) that Oracle doesn't always test it's own scripts.
This is why checking this kind of dbstart and dbshut scripts remains an important DBA responsibility, which has to be done BEFORE a server is taken into production ...

Cheerio, Alexander, The Netherlands.

In article <642A954DD517D411B20C00508BCF23B001255ECE_at_mail.sauder.com>,   "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:
> Manually you do this by
> sqlplus /nolog
> connect internal
> startup
>
> I have a feeling the /nolog switch is missing, otherwise sqlplus will
> connect automatically and never reach the connect internal line.
> I read somewhere the dbstart procedure *IS* buggy and bugs in dbstart
> occurred before, so, just give it a shot.
>
> Hth,
>
> Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA
>
> "John Barry" <jb_at_zedak.nospam.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, All.
> >
> > Recently a sparc machine failed to stop/start Oracle 8.1 on
 shutdown/boot.

> > Starting oracle is via call to link to /etc/init.d/dbora, which
 calls

> > "su - oracle -c "$ORA_HOME/bin/dbstart",
> >
> > which in turn should call
> >
> > "sqlplus <<EOF
> > connect internal
> > startup
> > EOF"
> >
> > The only way we've been able to start the Oracle instance is with
 svrmgrl,
> > which dbstart calls
> > for Oracle versions 7.3 and 8.0
> >
> > Anyone else encounter this behavior, or want to clue us as to how
 to set
 it
> > right?
> >
> > TIA,
> > John

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Jun 19 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT