Re: Moving to new Server and upgrading Oracle

From: A <A_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2000/06/18

I agree with you Bob.
In fact, it's my final call, and I think I will put my foot down on this one :-). I'm comfortable with either, but feel the export import is the best option in our situation.
Our current largest database is only around 30GB, (The largest table is around 40 Million rows).
We are a 24X7 shop, so the downtime allowed is basically as little as possible, thus the incremental export.
I feel the export import option gives us a better deal overall -- the move of the data, the upgrade to 8.0.6 and the defragmentation (not horrible amounts of fragmentation, but a small amount which will be fixed with the new sizing after the move :-)). Plus it's better to start of on a clean slate.

Additionally, our overall datafile layout and directory naming is going to change, so moving the datafiles would cause more headaches.

Currently I'm exporting to pipe anyhow to save disk space as well as because of the size of our databases.

Thanks for your post and suggestions.