Re: Database Design

From: Tom Zamani <tomz_at_redflex.com.au>
Date: 2000/06/16

Yes this is a bad database design. The database is not normalised. But a table could have candidate key(). for example. table person.

    p_id
    p_name
    p_sname
    p_tell

In this table p_id in primary key BUT the combination of name sname and tell is unique too.
This table should be broken in to few more tables phone_no table ( p_id, p_tell) a person could have more than one phone number.
But in industry not most of the databases are normalised. In fact you will see few databases which are normalised.(not begin normalised is not always a bad thing !!)
Tom