Re: memory problem

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: 2000/06/15

"Mario Clynen" <mario.clynen_at_ixsys.net> wrote in message news:8ia9vf$od6$1_at_news0.skynet.be...
> A print of my initORCL.ora :
>
> db_name = dbname
> instance_name = ORCL
> service_names = dbname
> control_files = ("/opt/oracle/dbs/oradata/dbname/control01.ctl",
> "/opt/oracle/dbs/oradata/dbname/control02.ctl")
> java_pool_size = 20971520

Well, you've been given the default 20M of Java Pool, which it is highly unlikely you'll need at this stage of the game. Reduce that to something trivial (last time I tried, I was unable to actually set it to zero, but from memory, I think 4K worked)

> log_checkpoint_interval = 10000
> log_checkpoint_timeout = 1800
> rollback_segments = (r01, r02, r03, r04)
> background_dump_dest = /opt/oracle/admin/dbname/bdump
> core_dump_dest = /opt/oracle/admin/dbname/cdump
> user_dump_dest = /opt/oracle/admin/dbname/udump
> db_block_size = 2048

Ridiculous block size. If you haven't created a database yet, change it -preferably to 16K

> remote_login_passwordfile = exclusive
> os_authent_prefix = ""
> job_queue_processes = 0
> job_queue_interval = 60
> distributed_transactions = 10
> open_links = 4
> mts_dispatchers = "(PROTOCOL=TCP)(PRE=oracle.aurora.server.SGiopServer)"
> mts_servers = 1
> compatible = "8.1.0"
>
> Everything is default,

I don't see a db_block_buffers. God knows what the Oracle 8.1 default is, but knowing 8.1 it's bound to be huge, which means your databsae buffer cache is going to be bigger than it needs to be. Add a new line to set db_block_buffers=200 (say). It's small, but see if that gets things going: you can always increase it incrementally later.

Regards
HJR