Re: MTS vs Dedicated connections in Web based env...

From: Greg Stark <greg-spare-1_at_mit.edu>
Date: 2000/06/15

Chris Hamilton <ToneCzar_at_bellatlantic.net> writes:

> >Do I need to implement MTS? I have set up both and tried to simulate a
> >thousand concurrent users and both have similar performance. But I'm not
> >sure what will happen when the 'real world' begin to hammer the database. Is
> >it standard for MTS to be used in this situation?
>
> YES. My experience has been that without MTS the CPU will get
> saturated spawning and destroying sessions. With MTS the load is
> dramatically reduced.

Well whether or not you use MTS you should implement persistent database connections so that you aren't continually starting new connections.

Depending on your web server architecture, if it involves more than ~ 100-200 (the actual number is subject to some contention) connections you would be much better off with MTS -- if it worked.

Unfortunately it doesn't work with 8.1.6, Oracle has open bugs on it that cause the database to crash and core dump. The only work around is to turn off MTS and there's no timeframe on a fix.

So I recommend you work on your web architecture to limit the number of simultaneous connections, use persistent connections, and of course bite the bullet and buy lots of RAM for your database server.

--
greg