Re: Backup Strategy

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_erols.com>
Date: 2000/06/15

        You don't have to use RMAN or a third party backup product - but it is probably easier to do so.

        You can do a hot backup using a Unix shell script (or the equivalent if running a different OS). Your script will, for each tablespace, have to call a sql script that puts a tablespace in backup mode, then to an OS level copy, e.g. A Unix cp or tar of the datafiles for the tablespace and then call a sql script that takes the tablespace out of backup mode. Oh, and don't forget to backup the associated files. You can either write directly to tape or to disk and then include a command to write the disk file(s) to tape in your script.

        If you do decide to "roll your own" and your disk-to-disk speed is substantially higher than your disk-to-tape speed you should go disk-to-disk and then move the backup file to tape. The reason, since your redo log activity is much greater when backing up a tablespace you want to minimize the time in order to minimize both space and log switching.

On 6/14/00, 3:01:14 AM, gorgos_at_my-deja.com wrote regarding Backup Strategy:

> Hello all,
> Does anybody have any general recommendations for a decent backup
> strategy. I've got three mission critical servers each running a
> seperate application with a seperate instance of 8i STD ed. At least
> one is probably 24x7 availability. The first question really is:
 should