Re: memory problem

From: <ddf_dba_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/06/14

In article <8i7lkf$a0d$1_at_news1.skynet.be>,   "mario clynen" <mario.clynen_at_ixsys.net> wrote:
> When I try to start the database with dbstart,
>
> he gives the following error :
>
> - solaris% dbstart
> - SQL*Plus: Release 8.1.5.0.0 - Production on Wed Jun 14 10:01:21 2000
> - (c) Copyright 1999 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
> SQL> Connected to an idle instance.
> SQL> ORA-27102: out of memory
> Intel SVR4 UNIX Error: 22: Invalid argument
> SQL> Disconnected
> Database "ORCL" warm started.
>
> I have 256Mb RAM and a swap of 500Mb
> Can I modify some config files perhaps ???
>
> Thanks

First I would check the alert log for any details of why you are out of memory. You may have a shared pool value that is too large for the available memory, you may be trying to allocate too many db block buffers, you may be setting a large pool to an unreasonable value. If you're not using MTS or multiple DBWR processes you likely don't need the large pool allocated. You can comment that out of the initORCL.ora file ($ORACLE_HOME/dbs/initORCL.ora) and reduce your memory requirements. The first item to examine, though, is the alert log. This should be found in the background_dump_dest (this parameter is also set in the initORCL.ora file). From there you should be able to determine, and correct, the problem.

David Fitzjarrell
Oracle Certified DBA

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Jun 14 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT