Re: Oracle & Linux configuration help ???

From: Java Developer <mozkill_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/06/14

I would personally recommend installing only the server stuff on the Linux machine and administer it by using an NT client (download the client from oracle).

the install process on linux is complicated if its your first or second time... read all the stuff here:

"http://www.linuxworld.com/linuxworld/lw-2000-04/lw-04- oracle8i_p.html#resources"

I am doing QA work and so I have gotten away with not installing any of the patches... i am running 8.0.5.0.0 right now. I tried the 8.0.5.1.0 patch and it screwed things up... ( i didnt install the glibc patch.. because it was over a year old but mabye that was my problem because i was getting library errors with the main oracle admin library... (libtc**.so.8.0???)... anyways, it works fine for me so far... also, you need to install :

libodbc++-0.2.2pre2-4.i386.rpm
libodbc++-devel-0.2.2pre2-4.i386.rpm
libodbc++-qt-0.2.2pre2-4.i386.rpm
unixODBC-1.8.7-2.i386.rpm

unixODBC-devel-1.8.7-2.i386.rpm
unixODBC-kde-1.8.7-2.i386.rpm

good luck..

jon

In article <393FFD49.B15ADA10_at_cska.net>,   Alexander Penev <penev_at_cska.net> wrote:

> htsang_at_my-deja.com wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I need to setup an Intranet that can run both JSP & Servlet
> > applications. We had Oracle 8.1.5 installed on a NT 4.0 Server and
 had
> > tested some of the applications with IIS 4.0 using ODBC
 connection. It
> > seems to be working properly. Now we need to port over to a Linux
> > environment with the following configuration :
> >
> > RedHat Linux 6.1
> > Apache Server 1.3.12
> > Tomcat 3.1
> > JDK1.2.2
> >
> > I am very new to both Linux & Oracle and need some expert advice.
 With
> > IIS 4.0 Server, it is required to install an oracle client.
>
> If you download or get a cd of oracle 8.1.5 for linux you should be
 able to
> choose only the client install and should install the whole client
 sw. I
> don't know how to obtain only the client
>
> > With Linux
> > & Apache,
>
> You can take a look at PHP (www.php.net) as its a very simple and a
> powerful scripting language for a connection between apache and oracle
>
> > do I also need to install an oracle client ? If so, where can

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Jun 14 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT