Re: URGENT - ORACLE SQLNET

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam>
Date: 2000/06/14

On Thu, 8 Jun 2000 12:30:18 +0100, "Nuno G" <nuno.guedes_at_interbolsa.pt> wrote:

>When the client finishes the connection its socket remains in TIME_WAIT
>for about 1 minute (timeout value ?). This happens even if I use sqlplus to
>access the remote database.
>
># netstat –a
>tcp 0 0 hpdev.1171 oracle.1521 TIME_WAIT

Hang on a minute. Isn't this just the listener waiting for the next connection? Normal. You sure this is the correct example?

>After a a huge number of connections, new connections are refused with
>TNS-12203 error and i can see a lot of sockets in TIME_WAIT status.

Hmmm, sounds nasty. Check out that nobody has changed the default tcp/ip settings in UNIX. Particularly the ones to do with timeout connections. Some third party comms software does this at install time and tells you nothing...

Also, check out how many sessions does the listener keep active at all times: it's one of the parameters in LISTENER.ORA, can't remember which one but it's in the manual. You might be seeing those.

Another thing: consider upgrading to V8.0 or V8.1: much better SQL*Net there than 7.3.4...

>Oracle server:
>Machine: HP D380/2
>SO: HP-UX 10.20

Hehehe.... Nuno, SO means nothing to an English speaking audience. For them it's OS, not SO!

HTH Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/the_Den/index.html Received on Wed Jun 14 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT