Re: Manual Switch of Logfile

From: spencer <spencerp_at_swbell.net>
Date: 2000/06/09

For the ALTER SYSTEM ARCHIVE LOG CURRENT statement, the Oracle documentation (for 8.0.6) doesn't indicate whether the
command returns before the log files are archived or not.

Right now, my "hot" backup script includes a pause of 60 secs after the ARCHIVE LOG statement completes, just to give the arch process time to complete the required tasks.

My Question:

Does the ARHIVE LOG statement wait until after the log files are archived (written to disk) before it returns ? Is it possible
for the statement to return before the log file is archived ?

Oracle 8.0.6 (32-bit) on HP-UX 11.0

Does anyone know where this is documented ?

"Eugenio" <eugenio.spadafora_nospam_at_compaq.com> wrote in message news:8hqcos$3cb$1_at_mailint03.im.hou.compaq.com...
> The 2 command don't have the same effect.
>
> ALTER SYSTEM SWITCH LOGFILE
> means
> stop using current logfile group X and switch to the next
 one in the
> online redo-log structure
> It works in ARCHIVELOGMODE and in NOARCHIVELOGMODE (because it
 works on
> online structures)
>
> ALTER SYSTEM ARCHIVE LOG CURRENT
> means
> stop using current logfile group X, switch to the next one
 in the online
> redo-log structure and archive the group X to the destination
 specified (by
> parameters or by command line)
> It works only in ARCHIVELOGMODE
>

> --
> I hope this helps
>
> Eugenio
> remove _nospam from reply address
>
> Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of my
 company

 <8hpoat$3qm$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>...