Oracle8i scalability

From: <narayana_ck_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/06/09

I have a question on the scalability of Oracle8i across different hardware platforms.

Based on the projections of the transaction load and database growth size, say, i go in for a Sun Ultra Dual CPU Box with 512MB memory and 100GB hard disk. However, after 6 months, i find that the box is unable to bear the load (database is growing at a remarkable pace and so are the users) and want to bring in additional CPU and disk power. I decided to go in for another box with the same configuration.

What i'm not sure about is that, by just plugging-in another database box on my network, how is it going to help me manage the load and also distribute my data across the physically different servers. How should i configure my new server to exploit the CPU and disk power on the new box?

It like the water tanks connected to each other. If one of the water tanks gets full - the water automatically flows into the adjacent one. The person trying to reach for water is quite transparent about his receiving the water from a specific water tank. And in the event of more inflow of water, i just add in another tank.

In a similar manner, my middle-tier application does not need to know from which database server, it needs to get the data. I'm not sure whether the data access layer needs to have the logic inbuilt to identify which server it needs to access for a specific data - akin to a database broker.

I do not want to throw away my existing hardware and bring in new hardware every time, my database gets outgrown and the server unable to process the increasing number of user requests...I prefer to "plug-in" new servers and have the work load shared.

Could someone throw some light on what Oracle technologies can i use to make it work..

thanks
ck

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Jun 09 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT