Re: bitmap indexes

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: 2000/06/09

"Mark" <markag_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message news:8hovdh$h7b$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> How do I enable bitmap indexes? What are/is the parameter settings I
> need?

So far as I am aware, there are no paramater settings. You just 'Create BITMAP index blah blah blah' instead of 'Create Index blah blah blah'.

One keyword does the trick.

> I try to create bitmap indexes and I get this:
> create bitmap index pp_status on pp(status)
> *
> ERROR at line 1:
> ORA-00439: feature not enabled: Bit-mapped indexes

However, obviously not in your case.

> The following Params are set as such:
>
> create_bitmap_area_size TRUE 8M...all other T/F's false
> bitmap_merge_area_size TRUE 1M...all other T/F's false

The Create_Bitmap_Area_size parameter determines only how much *memory* is used for storing bitmap segments. It's a performance thing: if your cardinality is high, this setting needs to be big. If cardinality were 2, you can get away with kilobytes, not megabytes. It has nothing to do with *enabling* bitmaps in the first place.

> Oracle Ver. 8.0.4.

When I use 8.0.5, I have no such problems. Bitmap indexes are an intrinsic part of Oracle functionality. I don't have to switch them on or anything. Anyway: your parameters are not the issue. HJR