Re: primary key index on separate tablespace not possible?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: 2000/06/09

"Kari Pannila" <Xkartsa_at_ougf.fi> wrote in message news:393E84EA.ECF6D77A_at_ougf.fi...

> ddf_dba_at_my-deja.com wrote:
>
> > The USING INDEX clause is supported for the alter table command. This
> > tells Oracle to utilize the index tablespace provided for the primary
> > key index. You need not create the index first and connect it to the
> > primary key constraint; the statement above will do all of that for you.
>

> Hi
>
> I personally prefer to create the index and the constraint separately,
> because I want the index and the constraint to have same name (for
> instance TABLE01_PK)
>
> I don't like index names (like SYS_C00720 etc..) Oracle gives
> to indexes it creates implicitly for constraints.

Bong! You only get the SYS... names when you don't name your constraints. If you name your constraint, any index that gets created as a result of the constraint creation gets named *with exactly the same name as the constraint*.

Having said that, I prefer to create my constraints after the event because the syntax for doing them at the same time bends my head around. But that's just me... it's not an Oracle problem.
HJR