Re: Oracle DBA Certification

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: 2000/06/09

<ddf_dba_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message news:8hm91e$fvg$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> In article <8f75ij$tka$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> Harsh <harshavardhans_at_my-deja.com> wrote:
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > I am a Programmer Analyst and have over 6 years experience in IT-
> > consulting and over 5 years in Sybase and SQL Server back-end
> > programming (writing SQL's, stored procedures, triggers). I have also
> > worked as a Sybase DBA for couple of years.
> >
> > I have learnt Oracle Ver 5 or 6, 6-7 years back and as the
 web-industry
> > is gearing up towards Oracle as a RDBMS, I want to switch to Oracle
> > again. I want to do Oracle DBA certification.
> >
> > I will really appreciate if anyone suggest me how should I go for it
 in
> > detail. What course material should I refer to; do I have to go for
 any
> > courses again? (I am not so interested in doing so), whether should I
> > install Oracle on my personal PC? If so on what OS (right now I have
> > Win 98) and what version?
> >
> > Thank in advance
> > Regards,
> > Harsh
> >
> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

Didn't see the original message, but I agree with all the recommended books below.

The only other thing perhaps to mention is that Oracle 7 exams are being discontinued this August, so don't start qualifying in that, or you'll have to take the various 'new features' exams.

I'd agree again with the suggestion below that 8i is the way forward (though being a Microsoft bunny I wouldn't necessarily recommend the Solaris platform, unless that's what you're happy with!). I run 8i on Windows 2000 at home, both server and client, and I haven't had any problems (so far!). Forget Windows 98 for home use: it's time to move into the tripple zero digits!

Other good sources of advice: try Steve Adam's website (allegedly about Performance Tuning, but it has heaps more than that): www.ixora.com.au. You could also do worse than read his "Oracle 8i Internal Services for Waits Latches and Memory" performance tuning book (O'Reilly are the publishers). Slim, but dense, if you're up to it.

Regards
HJR