Re: Recommended Storage subsystem for Oracle performance?

From: <dmoharir_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 2000/06/08

In article <8hmihh$nak$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   psyklops_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions in regards to a typical storage
> hardware requirement or configuration setup to service around 8600
> Oracle "inserts". Each insert is 500 bytes in size and is write
> intensive. I am assuming that each insert would equate to an IOP?
 We're
> possibly looking at a high-end RAID array system or even a large
 number
> of mirrored disk spindles. Has anyone implemented anything similar
 and
> what storage subsystem was used to provide the performance needed?
>
> We're running a HP9000 L-Class server and that the Oracle database
 will
> either be configured for RAW volumes, or using standard filesystem
 with
> Veritas's Quick I/O available on Veritas Database Edition for HP-UX.
>
> Please let me know if more information is needed.
>
> Thanks

How big is ur database going to grow?
Here are some sugestions for u though :
1. Use Raw or if u have money use Veritas quick i/o. 2.HP-UX you can use hardware mirrored Nike RAID arrays with fibre channel adapters and a 100 baseT n/w card. Try avoiding using software HP mirroring (Mirror-UX). Do not use HP Auto-RAID( not that it is bad, you just want to have control where ur data is stored). If Hp has better hardware mirrored arrays than Nike use them.( let me know if they do) 3. ALso as u say ur system is write inetensive, so do not use RAID5. Use Miroring. and striping if needed for some disks. This all depends on ur application and table interaction, size, growth pattern etc. 4, And of course if u r rich, use EMC Symmetrix storage.

Hope this helps.
Regards,

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Jun 08 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT