Re: Basic oracle

From: ttrivedi <ttrivedi_at_deja.com>
Date: 2000/06/08

christy wrote:

> Hi I'm a rookie, so please forgive me for my ignorance, and help me gap the
> path. i have some basic questions
>
> 1. When migrating data from one medium (sql server) to Oracle, is it best
> to use sql loader, or are there any other 3 party softwares that is commonly
> used?

That depends upon the type of data to be loaded. If it is SQL Server to Oracle then Oracle provides a neat little utility called Oracle Migration Workbench (Free Download!) that you might consider looking into. (From SQLServer to Oracle the 'time' data can get messed up as Oracle and MS have different handling of time.

> 2. On oracle fresh installs for a production environment, would it be fine
> to accept the default configuration, or are there any special configuration
> changes i should be aware of?

Never accept the default ,especially for a production environment. Look up the Metalink. It has some very good articles on the same. As for the special configuration changes , look, atleast, at the block size. A lot of the init.ora

parameters should also help.

> 3. how about on an upgrade?? anything i should be aware of?

Upgrade checklists are available on the Metalink. Look them up.

> 4. when upgrading Oracle - is it best to export/import data, or should i be
> using another method?? any 3 party softwares i should be aware of?

See 1 above.

> 5. Please give me some insight on some of these basic concepts:
> imaging, meta data repositories, sql back track control.

Once again familiarize yourself with tbe basics . Look it up on the net.