Re: Oracle Basics

From: Bob Fazio <rfazio_at_home.com.nospam>
Date: 2000/06/08

See below

--
Robert Fazio, Oracle DBA
rfazio_at_home.com
remove nospam from reply address
http://24.8.218.197/
"Christy" <kisstene_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Hi i'm a rookie so bare with me while I request help. Please help!
>
> 1. When migrating data from 1 medium (SQL Server) to Oracle, is it ok
> use SQL LOader, or are there other 3 party softwares that are better for
the
> project?
Sql loader works fine, Oracle also has a tool that will migrate an access database to an oracle database. If you have already created the tables in oracle, then I would say Sqlldr is your best choice.

> 2. On a fresh install of Oracle for a production environment, is it ok to
> accept the default install, or are there any special configurations i
should
> be aware of?
It will run slower that you will hope. All oracle databases need tuning, get a book and start reading. Oracle is designed to work well in an active and large environment. If you are used to a low activity, small database, oracle will most likely run slower. What happens is that as the number of users increase and the size of the data increases. SQL/Server becomes unmanageable, but Oracle can adapt and excel. There is a cost though. There are over 200 parameters that can potentially be adjusted that effect performance in an oracle database, and they can effect it both positively and negatively. More is not always better.

> 3. When upgrading oracle, is there any special configurations i should
also
> know - would it be to load data via export/import- or is there a better
way?

The easiest is usually the above, but the migration tool can also be used. Especially if the database is very large.