Re: MS SQL Server vs Oracle vs DB2 (&Sybase too)

From: Philip Nelson <pandpATattglobal.net>
Date: 2000/06/08

On Wed, 07 Jun 2000 09:10:03 GMT, innovator7_at_my-deja.com wrote:

>> Now you know how my head spins as I bounce from Sybase to MS SQL to DB2. God help us if we get Oracle in the shop. Afterthat comes Informix, Postgres
>> SQL & MySQL. I'll be so eclectic my brains will fall out, then I'll start writing magazine articles.

It's not my brain but my hair which has fallen out as I try to come to grips with IMS, DB2 Classic, DB2 UDB, Oracle, MS SQLServer, Sybase and (briefly) Informix.

There's two things I'd say -

At one of the talks at IDUG it was stated that really its impossible to cope without either five brains or a good toolset. Since I've not been blessed with the former I'm currently investigating the latter. We already have CA (Platinum) RC tools for "real" DB2 and are looking at equivalent products for the off-mainframe databases at the moment. If you want to know my thoughts on what I've seen so far then drop me a line.

We're coming to the opinion that although its possible to have a basic understanding of all the DBMSes its not possible to become an in-depth expert in all of them. For this reason we're leaning towards designating "DBMS experts" within the DBA team as first point of contact. Thankfully it looks like DB2 will be mine - pity the poor creatures managing (especially) MS !!!

Phil Nelson
Senior DBA
Scottish Widows
(IBM CSE DB2 UDB DBA) Received on Thu Jun 08 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT