Re: The cardinality of tablespace and datafile

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: 2000/06/07

In terms of performance: If you place all the tablespace's datafiles on one drive, then it doesn't really matter if you use option 1 or 2. You'll improve performance if you use option 2 and put the datafiles on different drives. Option 3 is similar to option 2, but it doesn't make a difference (performance wise) if you put 10 tables into 10 small tablespace or put the 10 tables into 1 bigger tablespace. The biggest factors to performance are: did you spread the data among many drives? are you using multiple disk controllers? and the biggest, did you tune your application?!?!?!?

HTH,
Brian

chuan zhang wrote:

> Hi, all,
>
> Could anyone tell me that which the following option is better in terms of
> performance:
>
> 1) One tablespace with one big datafile, this datafile might increase more
> if there are more storage.
>
> 2) One tablespace with many small or medium datafiles
> or
> 3) Splitting many datafiles into many tablespaces.
>
> Note, I have considered to put the datafiles into different drives in order
> to increase the performance.
>
> Thanks
>
> Chuan Zhang
>
> Asiaonline Ltd Co.