Sequence problem driving me crazy

From: Walter T Rejuney <BlueSax_at_Unforgetable.com>
Date: 2000/06/06

Database: 7.3.4
OS: Unixware 2.1.2

I have a simple sequence names MYSEQ which I have created in a schema named XYZ. Therefore the fully qualified name would be XYZ.MYSEQ.

This sequence works fine when I'm logged in as XYZ, but I want to give the logins OPS$XYZ and XYZDBA the ability to get values from the sequence and I want to do this via a role called XYZ_SELECT_ROLE which is assigned to XYZ, OPS$XYZ and XYZDBA

However, when I enter the command:

grant select on xyz.myseq to xyz_select_role I receive a 1031 error.

I even tried dropping the sequences and recreating them using the system login but specifying xyz.myseq. Again, the sequence created fine and works fine when logged in as xyz, but I cannot give grants to either a specific login or to a role and I don't understand why.

I do not want to go the route of giving SELECT ANY SEQUENCE to the role because I think that is sloppy security and I don't like to do things the sloppy way.

What makes this really baffling to me is that I can do:

grant select on xyz.myseq to ops$xyz;

and that will work. It is just when assigning it to a role that the problem occurs. Received on Tue Jun 06 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT