How to shutdown and re-start a database remotely?

From: Dino Hsu <dino1_at_ms1.hinet.net>
Date: 2000/06/06

To All,

Under some abnormal situations, we may want to shutdown a database (instance) and re-start it again. But because I am not the network administrator, I cannot log in the Windows NT servers where Oracle 8.0.5 databases reside. In other words, if I do them by stopping and re-starting database-related (SID) services, I have to work with the network administrator.

My questions are:
1.How to shutdown and re-start a database remotely? (without logging in the server) Server Manager, Instance Manager? 2.What are the required privleges or roles? INTERNAL, SYS, SYSTEM, which of them can do these shutdown/startup jobs? Do you think shutdown/startup need very high privileges?
3.One Oracle DBA believes that any remote shutdown/startup are not 'clean' enough, the best way is to do them is on the server. Do you think so?

Thanks in advance. If convenient, please also reply to my mail box: dino1_at_ms1.hinet.net.

Dino
ITS, Avon Cosmetics Taiwan Received on Tue Jun 06 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT