Re: need help creating a database link

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: 2000/06/06

I believe you get this error when you have GLOBAL_NAMES=TRUE in your init.ora. This enforces that dblinks have the same name as ther database they are linking to. From the 8i docs

A database link should be given the same name as the global database name of the remote database it references. When you set the initialization parameter GLOBAL_NAMES to TRUE, Oracle ensures that the name of the database link is the same as the global database name of the remote database. See the Oracle8i Reference for more information about specifying the initialization parameter GLOBAL_NAMES.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA