Re: controlfile extend problem

From: Bob Fazio <rfazio_at_home.com.nospam>
Date: 2000/06/04

I am not sure, but is it possible that they are using raw devices. If so, they will have to extent the device first, before the control file will expand. There is also a setting to control the expanding of the control file. See below (from the documentation)

Records in some sections in the control file are circularly reusable while records in other sections are never reused. CONTROL_FILE_RECORD_KEEP_TIME applies to reusable sections. It specifies the minimum age in days that a record must have before it can be reused. In the event a new record needs to be added to a reusable section and the oldest record has not aged enough, the record section expands. If CONTROL_FILE_RECORD_KEEP_TIME is set to 0, then reusable sections never expand and records are reused as needed.

--
Robert Fazio, Oracle DBA
rfazio_at_home.com