Re: Oracle 8.1.6 Export Question

From: Eric Parker <eric.parker_at_virgin.net>
Date: 2000/06/04

<mahesh_swam_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:8gtvgv$g56$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> I have to upgrade a current 8.1.6 database schema to a new schema. To
> do this, i want to be able to move just the data out of the tables and
> the current value of the sequences. Then, create a new database and run
> the SQL creating new tables and indexes and then import the data and
> sequences.I should also be able to access the exported data through
> SQLLoader or PL/SQL to import the existing data in to some of the new
> tables.
>
> Is there a way in Oracle to export just the data, without the create
> scripts? Also, is there a way to specify the the sequences to be
> exported or is full=y the only choice? Does anyone have any alternate
> suggestions for the process i want to do.
>

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Have you considered not doing an export but to create the new tables using 'CREATE AS SELECT' statements. Then by renaming the old and new tables you can achieve your new schema.

When you are happy with the new tables you can drop the original renamed tables.

eric Received on Sun Jun 04 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT