DBMS_LOCK + EXECUTE_CATALOG_ROLE

From: Andrew Sigmund <asigmund_at_redshift.com>
Date: 2000/06/04

Two questions regarding DBMS_LOCK usage:

  1. I granted EXECUTE_CATALOG_ROLE to myself, and now, in SQL*PLUS, the direct call "EXEC DBMS_LOCK.SLEEP(2);" completes successfully. However, when I try to create a stored procedure that does the same thing (CREATE PROCEDURE x AS BEGIN DBMS_LOCK.SLEEP(2); END;) I get the error "PLS-00201: identifier 'SYS.DBMS_LOCK' must be declared". Why can I use it directly, but not in a procedure?
  2. Does anyone have any caveats regarding EXECUTE_CATALOG_ROLE? Does it allow the grantee anything I should be aware of?

Thanks,

Andrew Sigmund
asigmund_at_redshift.com Received on Sun Jun 04 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT