Re: create new database

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_erols.com>
Date: 2000/06/03

        Okay, it sounds like you are on the right track. Now copy your TNSNAMES and LISTENER files for backup and edit. When you edit copy the entire block of lines for the existing sid and then edit changing only the sid name and port number. I don't know if things have changed but TNSNAMES and/or LISTENER differentiate between leading spaces and leading tabs in a line - so be careful when editing.

        You can also run multiple listeners on the same machine, one for each instance. It's easier to set up but then you have to modify your start up scripts to start each listener when the system comes up.

        Start off with the Oracle concepts manual. Once you either understand it or are totally confused pick up a copy of Marlene Theriault, Rachel Carmichael and ???. (Sorry I don't remember the name of the third author). Anyway it is the first book in the Oracle 101 series. (If you need the exact title do search on Marlene Theriauolt and you should find it.)

        After you master that book pick up a copy of the DBA Handbook for whatever version of Oracle you are running.

On 6/1/00, 11:16:46 PM, "Robin Witkop-Staub" <robin_at_witkopstaub.com> wrote regarding create new database:

> I just installed Oracle 8 on a Novell Netware 5 server that a
 department in
> my company required for a new software program. I am new to Oracle
 and am
> going off the supplied Novell documentation for Oracle. It installed

with a
> default ORANW80 database that I connected to fine. I now need to set

up a
> new database for use by the department. I copied the initorcl.ora
 file and
> edited the required data. Now the document states I have to check to

make
> sure I don't have a conflicting instance. I am using the Instance
 Manager
> that came with the client (admin install). The only instance I see is

for
> the default database and it is running/started? I looked at the
 tsanames
> file and they all point to a SID=ORCL. My documentation says my SID

should
> be the same as my new database name so how do I add a new SID?

> Also, Can anyone suggest some good beginner material for learning
 Oracle on