Re: deletion a column

From: spencer <spencerp_at_swbell.net>
Date: 2000/06/02

one procedure to remove a column from a table is to create a new table which contains all of the same columns of the existing table (except for the ones you want to drop) insert all of the rows from the existing table into the new table, rename the old table to another name, and rename the new table to the original name.

now that you have effectively removed the column from the table, you probably have some dependencies that need to be cleaned up in order to really complete the operation: replace affected views, re-grant privileges, create referential integrity constraints, compile affected procedures, etc.

i would strongly recommend that you thoroughly test the procedure before attempting it on a production database. there are some tools available from third party vendors that can make this process much easier and less error prone.