Re: MS SQL Server vs Oracle vs DB2 (&Sybase too)

From: Gene Wirchenko <genew_at_shuswap.net>
Date: 2000/06/02

DNP <High.Flight_at_btinternet.com> wrote:

>What price Atomicity, Consistency, Isolation and Durability?
>
>As someone said once, one database gives you 80% of the solution for 20%
>of the price, another gives you 99% of the solution for 100% of the
>price.
>
>I'm not mentioning any names of course so we can all draw our own
>conclusions ;-)
>
>The real question - why would anyone want to settle for just 80% of a
>solution?.

     The wording for some might be that x can do 99 for 100 and y can do 80 for only 20. How valuable is that 19? If it's nice but not necessary, I can see someone going the 80 for 20 route. This isn't just a point about DBMSs.

     Consider cars. I don't need a sportscar.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Computerese Irregular Verb Conjugation:

     I have preferences.