Re: Is it me or is Oracle just slow?

From: Michael D. Long <lead_dog_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: 2000/06/02

I made a similar statement about SQL Server and Oracle on the same box. After learning something about tuning from Oracle Support and the BDE team, I was able to get Oracle 8.1.6 R2 to outperform SQL Server 7 SP2.

SQL Server runs fine with a base install. Oracle required a few hours of iterative tuning and testing before setting up the live test.

My guess would be that more than 50% of Oracle on NT installations are poorly tuned. I know that the installs that I had performed before were definitely not optimized (but I won't make those mistakes again).

--
Michael D. Long
http://extremedna.homestead.com

"Jerry Gitomer" <jgitomer_at_erols.com> wrote in message

...snip...

> If you have a small, low volume database SQL Server will
> probably always outperform Oracle.
...snip...