Re: MS SQL Server vs Oracle vs DB2 (&Sybase too)

From: Eric Miner <eminer_at_sybase.com>
Date: 2000/06/02

Come on Blair. You know damn well that DB2 isn't 'replacing' ASE at Morgan. They decided, like many companies do, to use technology from two vendors. The Street hates Oracle and they ruled MSSQL 7 out as unable to scale to the enterprise level. They decided on ASE and DB2. Now, if you knew what's going on you'd know that all their trading systems run on ASE (an dit will stay that way) and it's their distributed db of choice. You'd also know that Moragn and Sybase started a web-based company together to deal with on-line derivatives - Cygnifi.

Sorry but I doubt folks here want hype from the marketing department.

I always point out my bias, I don't see that you have. I also don't see which department at IBM you're with, care to state that?

As for the comments from another poster on the ASE optimizer - you really haven't used ASE in some time have you? The issues you mention have been gone for a very long time.
I worked for a while at a major

Later,

Eric Miner
Engineering