Re: Recovery question

From: Big Al <db-guru_at_att.net>
Date: 2000/06/01

Michael Atkins wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Running 7.3.3 in an NT enviroment. Recovering from a power outage.
> My system tablespace is in need of media recovery. I run in
> NOARCHIVELOG mode and my redo logs sequence numbers are higher than
> what I need. Any ideas how else I can recover this? I've heard that
> there is a way to disable the sequence problem and login with invalid
> redo logs, but that doesn't sound like a good idea.
>
> TIA,
> Michael

Running in NOARCHIVELOG mode doesn't give you many options. I hope you have a current backup. All you can do is restore all your files to the last offline backup. Then the SCN numbers should be in synch across the datafiles and allow you to start your system. If you don't back up your redo logs at the same time as your datafiles, you can restore all the datafiles, open the database in mount mode and then enter ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOGS; This is a powerful command and needs to be used with caution. Be careful. Additional info from a recovery guide I wrote:

Reset Database

When necessary, this is part of the OPEN database command after the recovery process has completed. It should never be used except when absolutely necessary because you cannot recover over a RESETLOG. The three cases where it is necessary to use this are: 1) An incomplete recovery has been performed because of lost online redo logs or a missing archived redo log. 2) Recovery was performed with a backup control file. 3) Recovery was performed with a control file that was created by the CREATE CONTROLFILE command with the RESETLOGS option. The DBA is responsible for ensuring that all the Oracle files are consistent before entering this command. With the database reset Oracle sets the System Change Numbers (SCN) in each file to a new checkpoint without checking the the state of the files. Any offline data files may not be reset so they will have to be dropped as they cannot be recovered after this command. The command is: ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOGS;

After using this command it is essential to immediately take either an online or offline backup. I recommend doing an immediate shutdown of Oracle and an offline backup because you have no recovery available if there is an Oracle failure during the online backup.

Big Al Received on Thu Jun 01 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT