create Procedure problem

From: <arivlin_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/06/01

I release a proc and it does something that is not in SQL code and had never been in SQL code.
create or replace procedure foo
as
begin
declare v int;
 begin
 /*....lots of stuff

       but NO 'delete billings' statements */  insert billings ( billings_seqNum,

                   item_name
                   /* lots of other columns */ )
 select seq_billings.nextval,
        item_name
        /* lots of other columns */

 from tmp_billings;
 end;
end;

I see that every time I run the proc, the billings table gets truncated and new values are inserted. I see that because I watch the sequence numbers grow.

Then, after 6 hours of recreating procedure, including droping it, it started working correctly.

The DB is Oracle 7.3.4, I will be moving to 8.0.5 next week.

Anyone else saw anything similar? The proc does not work at first and then it starts working? I know how weird it sounds, and i would laugh at it myself until I saw this behaviour. I am sure that there was not truncate or delete billings statement in stored proc at any time, I even did grep to verify it.

Tell me what you think.
alex

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Jun 01 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT