Re: Shared memory error with standard.sql

From: Martin Rapier <m.rapier_at_sheffield.ac.uk>
Date: 2000/05/31

glennbaron_at_my-deja.com wrote in article <8h2qvh$5pa$1_at_nnrp2.deja.com>...
> Trying to create a new instance for test
> purposes, I encounter :
>
> ORA-00604: error occurred at recursive SQL level 2
> ORA-04031: unable to allocate 144 bytes of shared
> memory ("select name,col#,segcol#,........

> kernel parameters in /stand/system are:
> * Tunable parameters

{snip unix stuff}

> There appears to be ample shared memory available
> and few segments in use.

This is what the oerr utility has to say about 04031

04031, 00000, "unable to allocate %s bytes of shared memory (\"%s\",\"%s\",\"%s"

// *Cause:  More shared memory is needed than was allocated in the shared
//          pool.
// *Action: Either use the dbms_shared_pool package to pin large packages,
//          reduce your use of shared memory, or increase the amount of
//          available shared memory by increasing the value of the
//          init.ora parameter "shared_pool_size".

So, increase shared_pool_size. The shared memory the error is referring to is in the SGA not externally in the OS. On our system the shared_pool is bigger than the database buffer cache and we try and pin everything to stop stuff swapping out and failing to obtain contiguous memory when it swaps back in.

Sometimes with this sort of error you get a reference to a wierd internal memory structure called the 'bamima bam buffer', cracks me up every time.

Cheers
Martin. Received on Wed May 31 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT