Re: Is it me or is Oracle just slow?

From: spencer <spencerp_at_swbell.net>
Date: 2000/05/31

the Oracle ODBC driver isn't helping the performance of the Oracle database. You could try running a similar test using the native Oracle driver.

BTW... in the future, please avoid cross posting to all of the Oracle newsgroups.

(or, you could try installing both database systems on a comparably sized unix system, and run tests there to compare the performance of the databases. oops. that won't work. SQL*Server only runs on NT.)

"Newbie" <nospam_at_please.com> wrote in message news:8h4f6n$1s1$1_at_slb0.atl.mindspring.net...
> Hi,
> I have Oracle 8i and SQL Server 7.0 installed on identical
 hardware (PIII
> 733 with 256M memory and a single disk). I have not tuned
 either database
> (both are just simple installs.)
>
> I am accessing the SQL Server 7.0 database via Microsofts ODBC
 for SQL
> Server and Oracle 8i via Oracles ODBC driver.
>
> The time for an insert into SQL Server is approximately 1/20th
 the time for
> an insert into Oracle 8i.

 <--snip-->

> Any ideas as to the reason for the performance gap... Is the
 Oracle
> Procedure badly written? Is the problem the Trigger? The
 ODBC driver? Or