Re: MS SQL Server vs Oracle vs DB2 (&Sybase too)

From: leebert <*GNOSPAM*leebert_at_mindspring.com>
Date: 2000/05/31

Neil Pike wrote:

> You're talking at cross purposes. xp_sendmail is a SQL Server extended
> stored-procedure. This xp ONLY does MAPI calls (no SMTP calls).

> "sendmail" is a Unix term for a command-line SMTP mail sender. The two
> have nothing to do with each other.

Well Sybase xp_sendmail certainly isn't MAPI on Unix. And we don't even need MAPI client installed for Sybase NT to xp_sendmail. AFAIK, they use SMTP sendmail.

So if you use both Sybase & MS SQL on 2 different platforms (NT, Unix) xp_sendmail & sendmail seem very related.

And your comments leaves me at a quandry why we find xp_sendmail in MS SQL more reliable.

/l Received on Wed May 31 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT