Re: MS SQL Server vs Oracle vs DB2 (&Sybase too)

From: leebert <*GNOSPAM*leebert_at_mindspring.com>
Date: 2000/05/31

Neil Pike wrote:

> So don't use SQL Agent - I don't!

Right. We've written our own procedures, just like w/ Sybase & DB2.

> > Worse, that MS SQL Agent only sends alerts to ONE e-mail address. That's it.
> > Just one.
>
> So send it to a distribution list

There was some sort of extenuating reason why we couldn't use one... forget what that was now, I think it was a political hinderance. And we wanted a way to directly e-mail our pagers in case of a big MAPI mess starting w/ the e-mail server, which is common. Exchange Server is a weak link in our shop.

> All versions of SQL Server use the same MAPI api.

I had thought earlier more Sybase-ish versions used xp_sendmail. Or at least they should have. xp_sendmail works very reliably. Dunno what MS's fascination is w/ MAPI <g>.

/l Received on Wed May 31 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT