Re: Moving Oracle Server

From: <m_w_morrison_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/05/31

Sorry, I forgot to mention this, and I realize it makes a big difference. I am using Windows NT 4.

How could I copy the whole database over? This seems like it would be the easiest option. I tried it, but then the TNS service would not start and I could not connect to the database.

This is what I did on the new machine:

1. Install Oracle Server v7.3.4.0.0 with Standard starter database.
2. Stop services
3. Copy directory e:\orant\*.* to new computer(same location)
overwriting all files.
4. start services (TNS Listener service did not start) 5. Try to connect to database with neteasy SQL(did not work)

Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

Mike

In article <01bfca42$68457d20$f811a78f_at_ad1mer.shef.ac.uk>,   "Martin Rapier" <m.rapier_at_sheffield.ac.uk> wrote:
> m_w_morrison_at_my-deja.com wrote in article <8gmof1$oo3
 $1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>...
> > Does anyone have any suggestions on moving an Oracle Server from one
> > computer to another?
> >
> > I have been running into some problems.
> >
> > What is the best way to do this? I have installed a fresh copy of
> > oracle server 7.3.4.0.0 and tried export/import without success(I
 know
> > little about oracle), and I have also tried copying over the whole
> > directory structure. Neither worked.
>
> Why didn't copying the directory structure work?
>
> By far and away the easiest thing to do is simply copy all the
 datafiles,
> just pretend it is a disaster and follow your disaster recovery plan.
 Make
> sure you copy _all_ the relevant files though, not just the stuff
 under
> ORACLE_HOME (assuming Unix here), make sure you get any oracle files
 out of
> /etc, /opt/bin, /var/opt/oracle and so on.
>
> Use import/export if you want to reorganise your database, but it can
 be
> very, very slow if the DB is of any size at all. Depends how much
 downtime
> you can afford really.
>
> I have done this a number of times over the years, but need more info
 on
> what went wrong.
>
> Cheers
> Martin.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed May 31 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT