Parsing Alert.log via PL/SQL

From: <dbadaveo_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/05/30

I'm attempting to write a PL/SQL function that will parse a specified number of lines from the alert.log file into a PL/SQL table. Most of our Oracle databases (v. 8.0.5 & 8.0.6) are running on various flavors of Unix. My goal is to call this funtion from a web based app (Cold Fusion) and view the most recent alert.log entries. I'd like to stay away from creating an actual table to store the alert.log info, thus the request for a PL/SQL table.

My initial thoughts were to use the UTL_FILE package, but I'm a bit lost on the UTL_FILE, cursor, PL/SQL table relationship. Could anyone provide a some insight into the best way to accomplish this request?

Many thanks.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue May 30 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT