Re: Oracle Parallel Server vs Partioning for Standby server

From: Bob Fazio <rfazio_at_home.com.nospam>
Date: 2000/05/30

Ditto,

I am using OPS and it has been around since Oracle 6. We are currently using it without any problems. I do suggest though that OPS not be your only 24x7 / high availability option. OPS uses a shared disk technology, and if the disks fail/array fail, then all instances fail. You can't use RAID 5, OPS doesn't support it. You must mirror, which I would suggest anyways. Raid5 is just TOOOOOOOO!!!!! slow and painful. Suggestion.

4 Systems 4 arrays. (2 each for the databases. Mirrored across two arrays).

2 more running as standby databases at another location. The building could always blow up, and OPS only works up to 1 or 2 kilometers.

This may sound like a lot, but in reality, the availability and performance are much more reliable than the option that your friend suggested. The two standby systems, can be used in a pinch for recovery of tables (no need for exports in a large database). With 8i they can be used for reports/read only.

No need for data replication. because everything is available from any instance in the cluster. Database integrity can be accomplished with RI, it can't be done across multiple databases.

--
Robert Fazio, Oracle DBA
rfazio_at_home.com
"Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message

> I don't know where your friend has his information from, but the Parallel
> Server technology in Oracle exists since the early 90's. 'Not a well
proven
> technology' is simply nonsense, Oracle would have discontinued it.
> Instead your friend's 'solution', running multiple instances on 1 server,
> looks much more unreliable, less scalable, and insecure.
>
> Hth,
> Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA
>

> <naidua_at_my-deja.com> schreef in berichtnieuws
8guols$1mm$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...