Re: Moving Oracle Server

From: Martin Rapier <m.rapier_at_sheffield.ac.uk>
Date: 2000/05/30

m_w_morrison_at_my-deja.com wrote in article <8gmof1$oo3$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>...
> Does anyone have any suggestions on moving an Oracle Server from one
> computer to another?
>
> I have been running into some problems.
>
> What is the best way to do this? I have installed a fresh copy of
> oracle server 7.3.4.0.0 and tried export/import without success(I know
> little about oracle), and I have also tried copying over the whole
> directory structure. Neither worked.

Why didn't copying the directory structure work?

By far and away the easiest thing to do is simply copy all the datafiles, just pretend it is a disaster and follow your disaster recovery plan. Make sure you copy _all_ the relevant files though, not just the stuff under ORACLE_HOME (assuming Unix here), make sure you get any oracle files out of /etc, /opt/bin, /var/opt/oracle and so on.

Use import/export if you want to reorganise your database, but it can be very, very slow if the DB is of any size at all. Depends how much downtime you can afford really.

I have done this a number of times over the years, but need more info on what went wrong.

Cheers
Martin. Received on Tue May 30 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT