Oracle Parallel Server vs Partioning for Standby server

From: <naidua_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/05/29

Hi,

We are in the process of finalizing Database configuration for our 24x7 database requirements. For fail safe mode I wanted to use two SUN servers one put in hot standby mode and both sharing the external RAID disks and Oracle configured as Oracle parallel server.

One of our friends suggested that there will be locking issues involved with the OPS and also it is not a well proven technology yet. Instead he suggested Data partitioning and creating several instances of the business databases based on Geographical locations in the same Server. In this scenario there will be different server running user login database to figure out the user geography and route to the correct oracle instance.

I would like to have your comments on whether data partitioning is better than oracle parallel server solution.? Which one is more scalable and reliable solution.

Please comment on it.

Thanks in advance

Naidu

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon May 29 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT